To schedule an inspection, please contact Betsy Pinzone at extension 201 during the hours of 8:30 am to 12:00 pm daily. Please refer to the list of the inspectors and the approximate hours of inspections (the list to the right is not their office hours). When calling for an inspection, please note 24 hour notice is required. Please provide the permit number, location and type of inspection needed.
John deJager Construction Official
Wednesday after 10:00 am
Friday after 2:00 pm
Cliff Storms
Electrical Inspector
8:30 am - 10:30 am
Robert Huber Plumbing Inspector
Tuesday and Thursday
between 3 pm - 6 pm
Bill Paterson
Fire Inspector
Housing Inspector
Tuesday and Thursday
Between 1 pm and 4 pm
Zoning permits and construction permits are required for any new construction, additions, renovations, and decks. Carbon monoxide detectors, smoke detectors and fire extinguishers are required on all new construction, renovations and the resale of homes.
John deJager, Construction Official
The Sandyston Township Construction Office has many open permits prior to 2005. If you have an outstanding permit, we ask that you call the building department and schedule an inspection or advise as to the status of the open permit. These permits do require closure and are subject to penalties if final inspections are not made.
New Construction Building Checklist
A Note From The Construction Official
Sheds under 600 sq. ft. (10 feet or less in height) of light construction (frame) do require a building permit. Footings are optional, but the shed must sit on a bed of 4" crushed stone.
Construction Department
Sandyston Township
Prior to selling a home or changing of tenants, a Certificate of Occupancy Inspection must be performed. This inspection is required by Sandyston Township and is done to make sure that the smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are in working order. A new law also requires a fire extinguisher be installed in the kitchen. The fee for the inspection is $35 and this fee must be paid prior to the inspection. Please see the link below to download a copy of the application or call Betsy Pinzone at 973-948-3520 extension 201 to have the form faxed or mailed to you.
We receive a lot of questions regarding sheds. A
zoning permit is always required for sheds because
you are changing the footprint of your property.
Please see below for other pertinent information:
Sheds under 100 sq. ft. do not require a building permit.
Sheds over 600 sq. ft. require a building permit and the shed must be anchored to the ground with footings that extend below the frost line.
Are you wondering what to do with that old underground oil tank/gas tank?
This work will require a building permit. Keep in mind you have two options
with the old tank. You can abandon the tank in place or you can remove the
tank from the property. To abandon the tank in place, you would need to cut
the tank open, clean it out and have it inspected. Once you pass inspection,
you may fill the tank with sand. If you want to remove the tank, you must pull
the tank from the ground and have it inspected. Once you pass inspection you
may disgard the tank. If there is any perforation or sign of leakage in either
case, the DEP will be notified. While we strongly recommend you hire a
licensed company to do the work for you, the homeowner can perform the work.
The tank removal/abandonment will require a building permit.
If you plan on installing a new above ground tank, you will need a plumbing
and fire permit.
The State of New Jersey has also announced a new grant and loan program
available to homeowners and commercial property owners for funding
remediation of contamination caused by leaking underground storage tanks.
More information about this program can be found at:
In addition, a Homeowner's guide to Cleaning Up Heating Oil Discharges and
other useful site remediation information is available at:
What do I need for a building permit?
Sandyston Historical Society
Land Use/Planning Board
Sandyston Fire Department
Township Committee
Township Clerk
Tax Office
Contact Us
Construction Department
Each year the NJ Division of Consumer Affairs receives thousands of complaints from consumers who hire contractors to do costly repair projects and who are less than satisfied with the results. Consumers complain about shoddy workmanship, missed deadlines and also about the contractor's failure to complete the work or start the project at all. The NJ Consumer Fraud Act is designed to protect you from misrepresentation, fraud and deception in consumer transactions, including contracts for home improvement work. In addition, the Contractor's Registration Act requires home improvement contractors to register with the State. Home improvement contractors had to initially register with the Division of Consumer Affairs by December 31, 2005, and must register annually thereafter, unless specifically exempted. Home improvement contractors who are not registered with Consumer Affairs will not be issued municipal construction permits and will not be permitted to perform home improvement work in New Jersey. More information about the law may be found on the Division's website at

If you would like to check to see if a contractor you wish to use is registered with the State of New Jersey as a Home Improvement Contractor you may click on the link below:
Home Improvement Contractor Search Page
Be smart and educated when it comes to work being performed on your home.
Be sure the home improvement contractor is licensed and signs for the necessary
construction permits. If you sign for a permit to cover for an unlicensed contractor
you are forfeiting the protection afforded to you under the law. If you encounter
problems with this contractor the government will not be able to help you because
you signed for the permit indicating that you are performing the work yourself.
NEVER PAY FOR THE ENTIRE JOB UP FRONT! The customary arrangement is one-third in advance, one-third halfway through the job and one-third upon
completion (final inspections must be completed BEFORE final payment is made to the contractor). NEVER PAY IN CASH. Keep good records of all payments.
If you are a Home Improvement Contractor, you must be licensed with the State of New Jersey, Division of Consumer Affairs. Click here and you will be directed to the Division of Consumer website to obtain an application
packet or information on how to contact the Division of
Consumer Affairs directly.
Emergency Management
Animal Control Information